Time for change - Washington state shouldn’t be in the business of selling liquor. Only seven other states control liquor sales the same way as Washington state, based on fears that date back to the days of Prohibition.
More revenue for the state - The Washington State Auditor issued a report in late 2009 concluding the state could realize hundreds of millions of dollars in new revenue and reduce expenses if the state were to privatize spirits sales in Washington. This initiative will guarantee at least $100 million more in state revenue over the next five years.
- 1105 will generate additional revenue for state programs like education and public safety.
- 1105 will vastly expand the selection and variety of spirits at retail locations.
- Under 1105, the state will still strictly enforce safety regulations.
- The State Liquor Board will license only qualified retailers for new licenses, consistent with public safety requirements.
- 1105 provides retraining for state liquor store workers displaced by reform.
A competing initiative also seeks to change the way liquor is sold in Washington state
– but at a high cost to taxpayers and with little regard for public safety.
1105 is the best way to get the state out of the business of selling liquor!
|Yes on 1105
||No on 1100
|Guarantees $100 million or more in additional revenue to the state in the next 5 years
||Increases the state deficit by over $550 million in the next 5 years
|Liquor Board has authority to license only qualified spirits retailers
||Allows any store to sell liquor
|Keeps public safety measures in place
||Threatens public safety by stripping regulations and ability to monitor sales
|Compensates taxpayers by requiring retailers and wholesalers to pay over $300 million for licensing in the next 5 years
||Transfers distribution and sale of all alcohol to private sector with no compensation to state and taxpayers
Added on 06/16/2010
Industry by Odom Corp Industry News
No comments have been added yet to this post.
Post a comment - top
Please register to leave a comment.